Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Brief Wondrous Life of Liz S



Ugh, SO SORRY this entry is late! I am writing it at 12:30am, so while not technically 11.13.08, it's meant to describe the free food I ate today . . . er, yesterday!

WHY am I writing so late? Well, I just got home. And WHY am I home so late on a work night?

Hot date, Liz?

Well, depends what you mean by hot. If you mean, a one on one meeting with a member of the opposite sex, where he pays for dinner and drinks, where the night MIGHT end with a kiss or beyond, then no, I was not on a hot date.

BUT, if you mean a lively discussion with your book club about the baddest, best book of 2007 (released in paperback in 2008) called The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, written by Junot Diaz, then your ass would be right! As a bookworm/geek/potential future librarian, it is my duty to tell you to read this book. It's a totally bitchin' story about a ghetto Dominican nerd named Oscar de Leon who lives in New Jersey. I read it last year when it first came out and then had to read it again for my book club and it was even better the second time around.

So now that I'm all over my literary high horse, I'll tell you why my book club is not only good for books but also for free food, hence its inclusion in my amazing blog!

It is good for free food because the host always provides free food!

So tonight we met at Babs's house in my old nabe, Park Slope. Unfortunately Babs burnt all the appetizers, so there were only carrots and a Japanese-type cracker/dried wasabi pea/sunflower seed concoction. Also a bowl of Sweet Tarts and Milky Ways, an interest combo I believe was left over from Halloween, though I would have thought Obama pins would be a more fitting gift for the Slope trick or treaters. But, I digress. I managed to eat several of all three snacks, and was getting all antsy-pants for dinner, which did not disappoint. Babs prepared barbecue chicken, bread and butter, a delicious salad, and cookies! Yippee skippee!

After I ate everything, we talked about dating which is not so cliche if you knew the composition of my book club. Bitter single women in our 20s and 30s we are not--half the group is 60 or older, and the other half features the daughter of a married couple in the group and her friends (this is the half to which I belong, fyi). I actually was invited to join the group after I met the daughter on the subway over a year ago. Gretchen was reading "Unbearable Lightness of Being" and we started talking about how great that book was, which evolved into talking about how great many books were, which led to an invitation to join the coolest book club ever.

And now I need to go to bed!

Love,
Liz!

No comments: