Monday, January 5, 2009

I'll be your friend, diabetic John!

Hi all,

Oh my God tonight was one of the best Intervention episodes ever. It featured John, a 21 one-year-old from Tucson, Arizona who does not take care of his diabetes. Meanwhile, he has no friends and lives with his awesome parents Lori and Jeff. Lori has MS and lupus and Jeff diabetes also, and John's refusal to maintain his health is tearing his family apart and worsening his mom's condition.

Frequently on Intervention, you resent the addict or the enablers or both (I'm talking about you, Gabe!) because they allow the problem to fester. But in John's case, there was no one to blame. I was sobbing when my boy Ken Seeley (he's also my friend on Facebook!) sat down with the fam and convinced John to get help for his depression. Two months later, John seemed a lot better and was keeping in diabetes in check. I am really cheering for his recovery!

I imagine being diabetic is very hard, and I'd hate it because I'd probably have to curb my free food eating. For example, today my friend Pat took me out to lunch at Pop Burger. I ate two cheeseburger sliders, french fries, and a Diet Coke. I tracked all these points for my Weight Watchers journal, though I kind of made up the point value for the sliders (I said 4 each--anyone have a better idea?). I also went running after work. I'm the maid of honor for my sister's wedding in November and I need to look the hottest out of anyone there, hehe.

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode of Intervention, because we're getting an update on Tressa. She's everyone's favorite lesbian/almost-Olympian who was addicted to meth. She's one of the most beloved Intervention subjects ever, along with Hubert, Jacob, and Sylvia. Can't wait!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I love Tressa! One of my favorite interventionees (?)