Friday, January 9, 2009

How do you talk to an angel or a faded teen idol?


Okay, the 1980s seem to be following me. Last night it was all about Swayze, and tonight I watched "Confessions of a Teen Idol" on the DVR. "Confessions of a Teen Idol" is, naturally, on VH1, and it follows 7 has-beens as they try to reclaim their so-called fame that has eluded them for years. Now, I'm a pop culture whore and I cast a wide net when declaring someone a star (I'd probably faint if I ever ran into, say, Dina Lohan) but even I thought VH1 was stretching it when they called Eric Nies a teen idol. And Billy Hufsey? Bueller? I've never heard of him. And what's up with them casting Jeremy Jackson, the second Hobie Buchanan on Baywatch? They should have chosen the first one: Brandon Call. What I wouldn't do to see what he is doing. Or Jake from Sixteen Candles. A girl can dream for season 2.

Luckily, "Confessions of a Teen Idol" did feature Jamie Walters, though they mysteriously omitted his star turn on "The Heights" when describing his miraculous resume. He's a (married) bad-ass firefighter/paramedic with fierce tats, and I kind of got a little excited. Just don't push me down the stairs, Ray Pruit!

In addition to my tv watching, today I had a blast from the past that involved a real person! Woohoo! Over a year ago I took my favorite mode of transportation back to Boston--I'm talking about you, Fung Wah!--and I had a really great conversation for I think 3 of the 4 hours with this guy Jay. We exchanged e-mail addresses and then never got in touch. So this week he e-mailed me, and of course I remembered him because I am Captain Autism (at least that's what my brother calls me, because I remember everything, including the name of the little girl in the tv movie The Secret Garden, Gennie James, and no, I did not look this up on imdb.com). We met for lunch at Room Service, a Thai restaurant in Chelsea. I ordered tom yum soup and lard nah. Oh, it was delicious! I had not even told Jay about my blog and he *still* picked up the check. 2009 is going to be a good year people!

Now I am going to bed. Why so early on a Friday night, you ask? Well, I plan on running a 5 mile road race in Central Park tomorrow at 8am. Yeah, I'm hardcore.

Your pal,

Liz!

No comments: