Thursday, March 26, 2009

2001: Not only a Spacy Odyssey, but also the last time Duke won the NCAA Championship!

Your girl Liz graduated from Duke University in 2001, alongside basketball champion Shane Battier. Unfortunately for him, we were not friends (my choice, not his). Duke won the NCAA championship that year, and they are going to win it again this year. It's time!

Duke was a great place for many reasons, but near the top is the all you can eat buffets. Wow, did I take advantage of them! Strictly speaking, the food was not free, since Mama and Papa Simons paid a hefty price for it. But I never saw the bursar's bill, so let's just say that the Duke dining hall is where my passion for free food began. It's also the reason I gained 40 lbs in college and graduated a virgin. C'est la vie!

After college I joined Weight Watchers and lost all the weight, got hot, started exercising, blah blah blah. While I curbed my appetite for free food, it was never eradicated. So today I say with pride I ate several pieces of candy from Johhny K's Batman head, including a York peppermint patty and a Cadbury creme egg.

All right, got to get back to watching basketball. Go Duke!

No comments: