Thursday, October 16, 2008

On Sandwiches and Cookies



I woke up this morning knowing that it would be a good day for a free food-phile such as myself. See, some organization that my department does business with was giving a presentation and feeding us lunch. What would it be? I wondered as my alarm went off. Pizza? Boston Market? Something healthy (I hoped not!)? I was thrilled because this meant I would not have to pack a Lean Cuisine, which always depresses me because it makes me feel like a stereotype--here I am, a single woman pushing 30 in New York City, who is always on diet, who stocks her freezer with Smart Ones and Healthy Choices and whatever else is on sale! Next stop--animal shelter to get a cat to keep me company. Eek!!!

So I went to the meeting and was a bit disappointed at first because the free food spread was not as, er, bountiful as I had dreamed. There were a bunch of sandwiches from Hale N' Hearty, a few bags of Utz potato chips, and a smattering of cookies, including oatmeal raisin, which I sort of abhor but will eat them if necessary. I grabbed a tuna sandwich, bbq and salt and vinegar chips, and 2 chocolate chip cookies.

And just like you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, you shouldn't judge a feast by it's layout. The lunch ended up being fantastic and filling--the sandwich was perfecto, the chips divine, and the cookies were the right side of crunchy. And the coolest part was not only did I get free food, I got free swag! I am now the owner of a free duffel bag designed to look like a boombox!

So overall, today was a really good day for free stuff!

No comments: